Friday, June 8, 2012

Success

Pin It
So I did it.
I sewed something from an actual pattern.

To hear more about my pattern-sewing woes, click here.

But to cut to the chase,
here is what I made.
(It's a scrub top)





I guess I should clarify again that I am not a Broncos fan.
but as the fates would have it,
I have a substantial  amount of people in my life that call Colorado home.

One of those people is my sister-in-law.
She is crazy.
As in, crazy smart, crazy motivated, and crazy impressive.


To give you more information without giving you too many unsolicited details about my (her) personal life,
she has three kids (a four year, a 2.5 year old, and a 1 year old).

In the period of the last year,
she has cared for those 3 kids (one of them being a newborn),
and started (and just recently completed) a rigorous program to get her nursing degree.
Not enough for you?
She also did the "Insanity" workout in that time.
(for some reason, that's what tips it over the crazy scale for me)

You're impressed, aren't you?
I know I am.

I wanted to get her something for making it through that year,
and mostly for graduating from nursing school.
I found this pattern for scrubs at the fabric store on sale for a buck before Christmas, and snatched it up.


Well, it's finished.


The pattern wasn't as confusing as I thought it would be,
but I have to admit that I was a little uncomfortable at times with the order in which things were sewn, how the seams were sewn, etc.



Therefore, I couldn't resist making some changes.
I CAN NOT STAND any form of raw edge on projects that need to stand up to time and/or some wear and tear.
so I added some zigzags here, some topstitching there...
until I was pleased with the overall result.



My other main gripe with the pattern was the sizing.
I'm most certain that this will be a little big for her
(especially after doing Insanity!),
but it was the "small" size.
The good news is that it's a scrub top.
Even though I'm not a nurse, I can imagine that you need something comfortable with plenty of room to move around in.

I would say that I'm about 90% pleased with the project.
But mostly I'm just happy that I completed something using a pattern without ripping all of my hair out.


And, look! She even sent me a picture! :)

Success.

1 comment:

  1. that looks really good Meg! nice work! i have a sister in law who have five kids and just got done with nursing school. i don't know how they do it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your feedback! I would love to hear what you have to say.

If you are entering a comment for a giveaway, please be sure to post a comment for EACH entry where more than one entry qualify. Thanks!