Thursday, September 20, 2012

Toddler Bib Tutorial

Pin It
 
I haven't given you crazy kids a tutorial in awhile,
so I'm thinking I should, yes?

Okay...
so Ben needed some bigger bibs awhile ago so I came up with this SUPER easy "pattern" 
(if you can even call it that).

There are all sorts of toddler bibs out there.
Some of them have wipe-able surfaces.
Some of them feature pocket things.

And they're great, really, but is my kid the only one that misses the pocket and makes a total mess anyway?
I hope not.










I needed something absorbent that I could throw in the wash.
(wiping is great and all, but too much work for a bib that I'm going to end up washing anyway. lazy? maybs.)

Anywho... here's how I made them
Note: these are for a girl, not Ben... ergo florals. You get it.




 



Step One:

Gather Materials.

I used some regular ole cotton prints and terry.
I also opted for pearl snaps.
You could, of course, sub velcro, but my man just rips those off (vehemently, I might add).
Step Two:

Cut fabric.



I free handed mine.
I know. I know. This is of little help to you,
but you get the gist.
Perhaps I'll go "high tech" and get a template up on here soon.


 





Anyway, here's some (maybe) helpful info:
the coverage portion of the bib measures approximately 8 inches tall and 9 inches wide.
The neck strap measures approximately 10 inches long from the rounded corner to the end.
It may be helpful to make a template with paper first, making a guitar shape, cutting a neck hole out of the top and then adding the strap. Did that make any sense? I sure hope so.

So you'll need one cut from the terry and one cut from the cotton for each bib.






Step Three:

Place the two fabrics together, making sure your cotton fabric is right-side in.
(Terry doesn't usually have a right side, unless it's printed).

And pin in place.





Step Four:
Sew your pieces together (I used a 1/4 inch seam allowance), leaving a 4 to 5 inch hole at the bottom so you can turn it right-side out.





Step Five:
Take your pins out and then snip around your neck hole, careful not to cut past your seam allowance.
This will help your neckline lay flat when you turn it.








Step Six:
Turn it right-side out.
Make sure you carefully get to all the corners and curves.
TIP (yay): I use a bone folder to get in there because it has a point but won't tear through like scissors sometimes do.








Step Seven:
Iron the whole thing flat.
Then, top stitch along the outside of the whole bib.
I sew about 1/8 inch from the edge.




Step Eight:
Here, I attach my pearly snaps with two females on the body so it's adjustable.
As I mentioned above, you could sub velcro, and if you want it to be somewhat adjustable, just sew a longer piece on the body side.






And that's it!
Should I be embarrassed at how simple this is?
Maybe, but I'm not. :)

2 comments:

  1. um.... should I be embarrassed that I don't think this is "easy" at all??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABSOLUTELY NOT! :) If you give this one a try, let me know if anything is unclear.

      Delete

Please leave your feedback! I would love to hear what you have to say.

If you are entering a comment for a giveaway, please be sure to post a comment for EACH entry where more than one entry qualify. Thanks!